If you are trying to lose weight fast, eating healthy is one of the things that you need to take very seriously. But when you have a very busy schedule, it can be quite hard to find enough time to cook healthy meals in your kitchen. Dealing with a guilt-free dinner can seem like a major effort. The good news is that there are number of dishes that are just as speedy and simple to prepare as they are healthy. You can choose a toaster oven, rice cooker, food processor and other appliances to prepare these dishes faster in your kitchen.
Table of Contents
1. Roasted Asparagus
When you are trying to lose weight, you need more greens to stay healthy. Preparing roasted asparagus is as simple as follows.
- 1 bunch of Asparagus
- Kosher salt (to taste)
- 4 Tablespoons of olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
How to Prepare:
- Preheat your toaster oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit
- After that, wash the asparagus properly and then stack a bunch together. Lop off the thick bottom to an inch or so.
- Put the asparagus on a rimmed baking sheet and spread them out in a single layer. Pat them dry to avoid any water from steaming them when you put them in the oven.
- Drizzle olive oil generously all over the asparagus and then follow up with the kosher salt and black pepper.
- Allow the asparagus to roast for about 10 minutes or until the toaster oven is so hot until the asparagus starts becoming brown on the outside without getting too flimsy or overcooking. The finished asparagus should still have a bite to them.
- Remove the asparagus from the toaster oven and then allow them to settle for a few minutes before serving.
Fruits are also important for someone who is trying to lose weight. The following is how broiled grapefruit is prepared with a toaster oven.
- 1 large grapefruit (halved)
- 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons of brown sugar
- A pinch flaky sea salt (like Maldon)
- Mint (for garnish)
- Combine the granulated sugar and brown sugar in a small bowl and then evenly sprinkle the mixture over the surface of each half of the grapefruit.
- Carefully and lightly torch the grapefruit surface using a torch until it becomes lightly golden brown and all the sugar is melted. This should take only a few seconds. If you are using a toaster oven, you will need to preheat it to 500 degrees Fahrenheit and then allow the grapefruit to cook for about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Check the grapefruit frequently to make sure that it is cooking properly. After it has turned golden brown and all the sugar is melted, sprinkle the sea salt on it and then garnish with fresh mint.
3. Rice Cooker Risotto
- 2 C brown rice
- 4 C chicken broth
- 1 T minced onion
- 1 C chopped carrots
- 1/4 C dry white wine
- 1 C chopped broccoli
- 1 medium red bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 medium zucchini (shredded)
- 8 oz. mushrooms (chopped)
- 1 C peas
- Pepper and salt taste
- Cooked, diced chicken (optional)
- 1/2 C Parmesan cheese
How to Prepare:
- Combine the brown rice, minced onion, dry white wine and chicken broth into the base of your rice cooker and then cover to start cooking the rice.
- Meanwhile, chop all the veggies finely and then put them in a large bowl. In case you have a steamer basket, you can just put the diced veggies into the steamer atop the rice. You can also microwave and sauté the vegetables until they become crisp and tender. Make sure that you use a large pan and one teaspoon of olive oil if you choose to sauté the veggies.
- The veggies should cook until they are steamed and rice is just about ready. Stir the rice once or twice. Make sure that it is moist and has a little liquid remaining. If you notice that it is too dry, add a little more white wine or chicken broth to it before adding in the steamed veggies.
- Stir the veggies into the rice and then add cheese. Stir the peas into the mixture after cooking or steaming them.
- Add in cooked, diced chicken if desired to add a little protein and then serve immediately.
Note: if you need help to choose the best Japanese rice cooker, do your research by visiting a few independent sites. You will find that there are factors for selecting the best cooker based on the size required, the type of rice you want to cook, and the speed at which you desire to cook it. Again, do your research and find the best value for your needs.
4. Butternut Squash Enchiladas
- 2 1/4 cups of shredded raw butternut squash
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/4 small red bell pepper (diced)
- 1 medium to large yellow onion (diced)
- 3/4 cup of white beans (drained but not rinsed)
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons of granulated onion
- 1 teaspoon of dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon of cumin (scant)
- 1/4 teaspoon of paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- Eight 6-inch tortilla wraps
- 1/3 cup of finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 1/3 cups of raw cashews
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon of granulated onion
- 1 3/4 cups of water
- 1/2 teaspoon of granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon of salt (scant)
- Optional Toppings:
- Diced avocado
- Sliced green onion
- Sliced olives
- Chopped cilantro
How to Prepare:
- Peel the squash and cut into large pieces. You should discard the seeds.
- Shred the squash into large shreds using the shredding blade of a food processor and then put them into a mixing bowl.
- Add cilantro and seasonings while making sure that you mix well after every addition. Use a fork and not a spoon for mixing.
- After that, add garlic, pepper, diced onion and beans.
- Put the sauce ingredients into a blender and then blend them until they are smooth and creamy. It will be a good idea to use a heavy duty blender for the sauce to get creamy.
- Add 1/3 cup of sauce into the vegetable mixture and stir and then put about 1/3 cup of vegetable mixture down the center of tortilla.
- Fold edges of tortilla over filling and then put seam-side down into an oiled baking dish. Do the same with the remaining tortillas. Pour the blender mixture that will remain over enchiladas while making sure that edges of tortillas are covered.
- Bake them at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for about 35 minutes. Cover with foil if the top or edges for tortillas get too dark before enchiladas are done.
- Top with cilantro, green onion, avocado and olives and serve hot.
With the above-mentioned toaster oven, rice cooker and food processor recipes, eating healthy while trying to lose weight will not be an issue. There so many other recipes that you can use to prepare with these appliances quickly and easily. Just make sure that you choose recipes with nutrients that will not work negatively against your weight loss goals. You also need to be careful about the quantity of food you consume. Just eat what is enough as per your body size and weight.