If you have not been living under the rock, then you must have heard about the periodontal diagnosis of Alex Rodriguez. Surprisingly, by his own admission, the man did not ‘chew tobacco’ and did take care of his oral hygiene. Keeping this news in tow, a Boston-based dentist stated that nearly half of adults in the US (age group over 30) had some kind of gum disease. But, there’s a piece of good news!! This can be reversed. We’ll tell you exactly how to cure gum disease naturally and take better care of your oral health.
This article will highlight the ways in which you can reverse it at home via natural methods, suggest some changes in your lifestyle, and give you a peek into some of the risk factors that are associated with this disease. The experts have also tried answering some queries that you may have. Here’s getting to the specifics of the same –
How to cure gum disease naturally at home?
Here are a couple of ways to help reverse periodontitis (gingivitis at an early stage) at home. Let’s check them out –
1. Salt water rinse
Salt supposedly has a huge contribution in maintaining your dental health. A 2016 independent study shows that saltwater rinse helps alleviate the symptoms associated with gingivitis in your gum lining. To use it correctly, you will have to –
- Blend 1 teaspoon of salt in 250ml warm water. Stir it well.
- Swish this combo in your mouth, for 30 seconds and spit it out.
- Repeat this 4-5 times per day for the best results.
2. Oil pulling technique
Most know it as a folk remedy, this is one that not only helps reverse gum disease but in general helps to better dental health. To ideally use this, you will have to –
- Take a teaspoon of virgin coconut oil and swish it in your mouth for 5 minutes. Spit it out after that.
- Continue doing it 2 times a day, especially right at the morning. With time, increase the swishing period to 15 minutes.
3. Curating a baking soda paste
You might be aware that baking soda is a great natural remedy for your poor dental condition. Hence, you may use a paste of this to deal with gum issues naturally –
- Take a bit of warm water (if you want a thicker combination) and add 1 teaspoon baking soda to it. Make a thick concoction. If you wish, you may also create a solution out of it, by increasing the amount of water.
- If its a paste, then put it on your gums and keep it for 30 seconds. Rinse your mouth with warm water. If its a solution, then swish it in your mouth for 30 seconds and rinse it out.
- Repeat this process thrice a day for the desired effect.
4. Turmeric gel
For the unversed, turmeric is an anti-inflammatory compound that has a multitude of positives associated with it. There has been more than a singular occasion, where it has helped deal with dental health (thanks to the curcumin content). Here’s how to cure gum disease naturally with turmeric gel –
- Take 20 ml warm water (you can change the quantity depending on your preference) and mix 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder to it.
- Make a thick gel out of it and apply it on the gums.
- Leave it on for 10 minutes. Then take some water and swish the gel in your mouth.
- Repeat it 2-3 times per day.
- For better results, you can add a bit of salt and baking soda to the turmeric paste.
5. Clove oil/Clove usage
Clove as you already know is one of the best medicines for any dental issue. The alpha-humulene content in it helps to deal with gingivitis and advanced-stage periodontitis conditions. You will have to –
- Take a clove piece and keep it in your mouth for as long as possible. Try to keep it as a whole.
- Blend clove oil with water in a 1:1 ratio and rinse your mouth with it.
- Continue either of the 2 procedures, 2-3 times per day.
6. Hydrogen peroxide
One of the strongest antiseptics that not only reverses the disease but also prevents your teeth from further depletion in the long run. Here’s how to correctly use it –
- Take a bowl and blend water and hydrogen peroxide in a 1:1 ratio.
- Use it like a mouthwash and swish it for 30-40 seconds.
- Repeat this process 4-5 times per day to get the required results.
7. Aloe vera gel
You are perhaps a little surprised to see this name on this list. Wondering how to cure gum disease naturally with aloe vera? We’ll give you the specifics. Aloe vera not only helps to treat the current dental issue but also deals with the plaque that comes as a result of gingivitis.
- Combine 125 ml of fresh aloe vera juice with 250 ml of water. If you are not comfortable with so much water, you can lessen it.
- Rinse your mouth for 30-40 seconds with this water. Repeat thrice a day for a month.
8. Essential oils
Essential oils are just the perfect solution for all your problems, even if they are dental issues! The plethora of oils like – tea tree oil, lemongrass oil, thyme essential oil, peppermint oil, and eucalyptus oil help to reverse the primary level gum disease thereby ensuring a better, bacteria-free pair of whites!
In fact, there has been more than a single instance to prove the benefits of essential oils (a 2015 study confirmed using 0.25% essential oil versus 0.2% chlorhexidine mouthwash provided better results).
- Combine 2-3 drops of any chosen essential oil with 250 ml of water.
- Swish this blend into your mouth for 30 seconds and throw it out. Rinse your mouth with this combo thrice a day for best results.
These are some of the best ways to deal with gum diseases at home. However, now that you have summed up how to cure gum disease naturally it is imperative for you to remember that – these procedures have certain limitations. In case you do not see much of a change even after a significant period, you must consult a doctor.
How long do they take to work?
Normally, it depends on the remedy that you are using. However, be prepared for a haul of 4 – 6 weeks, before you see a significant change. Apart from that, the severity of the disease and the way in which it is used (if used in tandem with other medicines) also affect the time of deriving the results.
When must you consult a doctor?
You have already checked out the natural ways to cure gum diseases. However, if your medical issue extends the given period and that too without any specific improvement (rather constant condition or deterioration), you must consult a dentist.
What are the lifestyle changes to make?
Taking a leaf out of Alex Rodriguez’s case, it is imperative that you concentrate more on taking care of your gums in the first place, rather than figuring out later – how to cure gum disease naturally. Clearly, only brushing twice a day and flossing does not solely help. There are certain lifestyle changes that you must make. They are –
- Along with brushing and flossing, an annual visit to the dentist is imperative.
- You need to choose a better lifestyle. Excessive smoking, drinking, and poor nutrition lead to periodontal issues. If not checked at an early stage, it could become irreversible.
- Keep yourself hydrated. Water is a natural healer and can save you from a host of medical conditions. Also, on the whole, take care of your health. At times digestion issues or cardiovascular issues can attack your teeth.
- Change your toothpaste and buy one that has the most of the ingredients including – tartar control formula, fluoride, and anti-bacterial properties.
Periodontal diseases in recent times have been on the rise and despite the standard instruction of ‘brushing twice and flossing,’ it is progressing to affect people in huge numbers. Having said that, if detected at an early stage, it can be reversed. Assuming you have read this article well, you do know some techniques about how to cure gum disease naturally. You can surely use them to reverse the same and save your pair of whites in the long run.
In case you still have some queries, here are answers to all of them. If you liked this content and want to know more about medical issues like these, keep your eyes on this website.
1. What is the main cause of this problem?
The primary cause of the periodontal issue is not taking care of your oral hygiene. However, alcohol, smoking, and inherent health conditions are massive triggers for the same.
2. How to cure gum disease naturally?
If detected early, there are a host of natural ways like oil pulling, baking soda solution, hydrogen peroxide rinse, tea-tree oil, and saltwater rinse that can help reverse this condition.
3. What is the medical treatment of this?
If things are at a stage beyond reversing, the alternative medical treatments available are – SRP cleansing, pinhole surgery, or gum graft surgery.
4. What if you leave it untreated?
This is definitely the worst decision you can make. It could lead to tooth loss and constant discomfort. In certain cases, it could lead to a range of other complications such as – stomach issues, pregnancy complications, and even cardiological issues.
Monalisa Mukherjee is a content writer and copywriter with close to 3 years of experience. She has written for websites like Biography Talk, Contour Cafe, He And She Fitness and Fiction Pad. She is currently associated with a noted Digital Marketing Agency and specialises in writing articles for travel, entertainment, cooking, celeb, lifestyle, tech, health, fashion and film news.