The perfect smile that plays on one’s lips is genuinely invaluable and to keep that smile intact, a person should take care of the teeth. The oral part of the body forms a substantial portion of the face and plays a vital role regarding the facial appearance of a person. Thus, it is imperative to keep the mouth healthy as well as remain happy.
As children, a person is taught proper oral care in the form of good habits. These habits when incorporated in a person’s daily routine make a positive impact on life. However, as a person grows, it is inevitable that some good habits get lost on the way. And, if these good habits are neglected then inadvertently, adverse effects will start affecting one’s life. So you must take special care of your overall health and oral health in general to lead a healthy life.
The importance of dental health
One might wonder about the significance of oral hygiene in one’s life. The following points will help a person to understand the vital role played by the oral part of the body and the need for its maintenance:
- Ingestion of food – Mouth is the body part from where food enters the human body. Eating is an essential aspect of life. Without food, human beings cannot survive. When one takes a bite of tasty food, then the mouth begins the process of digestion. It breaks down the food into smaller particles by the grinding action of the teeth and rolls it into a ball with the help of the tongue to swallow it without any difficulty. The salivary glands moisten the food with juices to make it suitable for swallowing. All these functions that occur inside the mouth are a significant portion of the digestion process. If the oral health is correct, then it will affect the efficiency of the tasks that occur inside the mouth which will inadvertently affect food digestion.
- Speech – Talking is the most apparent form of expression that people use to convey their wishes or feelings. If the dental structure is decaying or has suffered considerable decay due to poor oral health practices, then it will become difficult for a person to articulate his/her feelings verbally. The absence of teeth can hinder speech and people who have broken teeth also shun away from public conversations as it makes them feel awkward
- Appearance – The face is the first part of the body which one views and even when a person looks into the mirror the reflection of the face is an essential aspect of an individual’s personality. If the cheek area becomes sagged or the lips lose their structure due to the absence of teeth, then it changes the whole look of the face which might not appear appealing for the person. That can make the person feel negative about him/her.
Apart from factors mentioned above lack of oral sanitation can invite various bacterial infections which can cause swelling, pain, and discomfort in the mouth and nearby affected areas. Hence, dental health is of paramount importance, and one should never neglect it.
Steps for ensuring maximum Dental care
The brushing, flossing and rinsing actions will keep the mouth free from excessive bacterial growth, but this is not all; when and how these actions take place is also essential, for instance, if a person does not brush twice a day then bacterial growth will not be effectively curbed. Similarly, regular flossing and rinsing are a must. Rinsing is a must after eating a meal, but if a person has eaten food items rich in sugar or starch, then mouth should be rinsed immediately after food consumption. Tea has a tanning effect on teeth so swishing the mouth with water after drinking tea is advisable for keeping dirty stains away. Mouthwash is for protection against the formation of germs in the mouth.
A systematic guide for maintenance of oral health is given below:
- Cleaning teeth as well as tongue in the morning and at night. Brushing before going to bed is very important because otherwise, bacterial growth will remain unchecked throughout the night.
- Check the teeth for any stains or blackening. If you do not treat the staining of front teeth from drinking beverages like tea or coffee, immediately then it can form a permanent layer on the surface of the teeth.
- Avoiding the usage of rough surfaces on the gum. At times while using the toothbrush one can injure the gums which can lead to bleeding. However, gum bleeding without any external injury is indicative of gum diseases which require treatment.
- Healthy food habits and eating food products that promote the health of gums and teeth is necessary.
- Opt for professional cleaning of layers that appear right below the line of teeth. Not removing this layer results in solidifying and hardening with time.
- Observe the teeth and tongue and the interior of the mouth with a mirror and if anything seems amiss then visiting a dentist for discussing the concern.
- Use light for viewing the back of the throat especially the tonsil region. Unhealthy oral practices trigger an immune reaction from the tonsils which can cause the tonsils to swell. Sometimes abscess also develops due to the localization of infection. You should get these issues resolved as quickly as possible.
- Tonsil stones are white chips that develop on the sidewalls of the upper throat as a result of the trapped food particles. If frequent tonsil stones are occurring combined with chronic inflammation, then it is better to consult a medical practitioner and chalk out a plan for treating as well as reducing these infective occurrences.
- Seeking treatment for dental ailments is not enough because if lack of proper biologic dental care causes the problems then merely treating the infection will not resolve the trouble.
Treatment options available for dental decay due to cavities
Cavities are the erosion of the tooth structure due to degradation caused by bacterial activity. The initial identification of cavities in one’s teeth is quickly made by looking for black stains on the surface of teeth. These stains slowly expand and destroy the entire structure of a tooth. The quicker the solution is sought for cavity-ridden teeth, the easier it will be to save the decaying teeth or tooth. In case of delay, the entire tooth structure will be lost, and it might require extraction for removing the root of the infected tooth stuck inside the gum. Thus the most appropriate method for minimizing damage is to seek treatment quickly.
The different treatment plans for cavities include the following:
- Extraction – If the tooth is beyond any repair and has become the site for continuous inflammation and abscess formation then it is better to get the tooth extracted.
- Filling – Dentists can correct a small hole in the present tooth that has started decaying by filling it with biologically suitable compounds.
Options availed for treating gaps due to extraction
When a single tooth or multiple teeth are extracted, then it not only causes space in the mouth but it also affects the confidence of a person along with all the other associated problems of eating and speaking. But there are plenty of options available for regaining the standard structure of one’s mouth. These include the following:
- Implants – In case of single tooth extraction implants can be a suitable option. Implants are available for a single tooth and are a permanent solution. After attaching it with the bone of the jaw then it will fit snugly along with the rest of the teeth.
- Dentures built upon implants – This option is suitable in cases of multiple teeth extraction. The implants here act as pillars that will hold the structure of the denture in place. The presence of implants provides the denture with a solid foundation which will remove chances of discomfort caused by conventional dentures which do not have fixed support.
- Replacement of an arc – If the whole arc of the mouth has to be replaced then also implant combined with dentures is an excellent option.
- Crowns – Replace the broken crown of a tooth with a permanent, robust crown that is similar to the other natural ones.
- Bridges – This option can be useful if an implant is not suitable. Gaps can be adequately corrected with dental bridges.
In the present era, there are innovative treatments methods that are minimally invasive and do not require long-term aftercare. Hence instead of pondering upon the problems, it is sensible to look for a suitable consultation and discuss the available treatment options. Choose the most appropriate course of treatment and resolve the issue.
Everyone deserves to lead a happy and healthy life, but dental diseases can tarnish one’s happiness to a great extent. When these diseases are left untreated, then these become more complicated requiring extensive treatment. Therefore it is better to address the issue and seek consultation from a professional dentist as soon as possible.