The dental problem is very common among youngsters mainly due to their food habits, which include unhealthy junk foods and too many sweets or candies. Therefore, often they experience tooth decay and other dental ailments by the time they reach their teenage. The crowds of patients, in the chambers of the dentists largely consist of the teenagers, who are really conscious of their looks that may be spoiled due to the decayed enamel of the teeth.
But it is possible to prevent these teeth decay and other dental problems, if the children adopt some healthy habits from their childhood and take good care of their teeth. The parents should play a role in making their kids practiced with these healthy habits, so that they do not need to rush to the dentists with painful dental complications. They should be well aware of the habits that can secure the dental health of their children.
Few healthy habits that should be followed for dental care
- Regular brushing of the teeth – The teeth should be brushed carefully, with a soft toothbrush and preferably toothpaste that contains fluoride in it. The teeth should be brushed every morning and at night, before going to bed. It is even better to brush the teeth after each meal; to free the teeth from all accumulated food particles and the resultant bacteria. The gaps between the teeth should also be regularly cleaned with dental floss or other special dental cleaners.
- Use of fluoride based mouthwash – The mouth should be washed regularly with a fluoride based mouthwash as fluoride is very important in strengthening the enamel of the teeth and this mouthwash helps in killing the harmful organisms that may result in tooth decay.
- Reduction in the intake of sugary foods – The children love to eat a lot of candies, chocolates and different kinds of sweets all the time. But this excess intake of sweet foods results in cavities on the teeth and tooth decay due to the increase in bacterial growth. So the children should be practiced self control to reduce their craze for sweet foods.
- Avoid munching all the time – Many children love to munch on chips or other crispy junk food items, whose sticky particles remain attached to the teeth and encourage rapid bacterial growth. Therefore, the children should be discouraged to eat frequently and should be reminded to wash their mouth thoroughly with water whenever they eat anything.
Teenager Dental Care
- Eat healthy meals – The children should be encouraged to eat healthy foods in their regular meals, so that they can have a balanced diet, comprising of enough proteins, carbohydrates, fats, all essential vitamins and minerals. The parents may also take the help of a dietician, to get an idea about the foods that must be given to their children, to ensure their better growth.
- Ensure regular intake of fluoride – As fluoride intake is very essential for the stronger tooth enamel, the children up to the teenage should be given fluoride-rich foods, like several fruits and vegetables, including grapes, apples, oranges, pears, tomatoes, potatoes, raisins, beets, carrots, spinach and cucumber. The teens can also be given tea or cocoa as beverages as these products are rich in fluoride content. The children may also be given a pint of special fluoridated water daily, which is beneficial for their dental health.
- Keep away from smoking or other drug addictions – The children should be firmly discouraged against smoking at an early age, as the tobacco forms hard stains over the teeth enamel cause tooth decay and even oral cancer. The parents should keep watch over their children to stop them from getting addicted to any kind of harmful drug, which can be devastating not only for teeth but for their overall physical and mental health.
We hope that as a teenager you will regularly follow the above mentioned healthy habits to take care of your teeth and if you still face some issues regarding your teeth then it is always advisable to visit your dentist and have a check-up.