Studies have shown that exercising regularly can help reduce the risk of contracting a cardiovascular disease like heart disease and high blood pressure. Exercise can also help you maintain a healthy weight. Sometimes we can be so busy that we don’t have the time to go to a gym. Other times we may feel intimidated to go to the gym, especially if you are overweight. The scene of weight machines and people working tirelessly in treadmills can put you off. However, that does not mean that if you don’t go to the gym, you cannot stay fit. There are workouts you can do out of the gym that can achieve the same or better results than going to a gym. Strength training exercise like pull-ups challenge, squats and push-ups have numerous health benefits. They can help in strengthening your bones, prevent loss of memory and improve your body balance.
Healthcare practitioners recommend that you have 30 minutes of moderate exercise, preferably every day, so that you can stay healthy. Anyone can exercise regardless of their age. However, if you are over the age of 45, you need to see your doctor so that they can recommend the best workout program for you. You may also need to see a doctor if you have history fainting, experience dizziness or physical exercise leads to chest pains. Your doctor may carry out a pre workout screening to identify if you are at risk of developing health complications while working out. If your doctor determines that the benefit of exercise outweigh the risk, he will recommend the best workout for you.
Ways to include exercises in your daily activities
It is important you find time for exercise, either at home or work, so that you can enjoy the full fitness benefits. You can decide to include small changes in your daily routine to increase your physical activity. Here’s a list of examples to get yourself fit even outside the gym.
- Instead of using the elevator you can take the staircase.
- You can also choose cycling or walking to work rather than driving your car.
- Keep in mind that sitting for long hours is not good for your health. Therefore, try to minimize the time you spend sitting by taking regular breaks.
Body weight for weightlifting exercises
You don’t need to use heavy weights to do workouts. You can use your body weight alone and train from anywhere with enough space. Some of the body weight exercises you can do include lunges, squats, pull up and push ups. With body weight exercise, you will need to increase the intensity of your workouts so that you keep challenging your muscles. You can start with 3 rounds of 10 squats, 10 push ups and 10 lunges. While you are working out, resting is just as important as exercising. Make sure you have enough rest after every workout session to avoid overworking your muscles.
Exercise routines to perform at home
There are different strength training exercises you can adopt. However personally, I recommend pull-ups and chin ups for people who want to build strength and endurance. It is rare to find people who are doing pull-up challenge at home or in a gym. This is despite the fact pull-ups challenge being one of the most effective strength training exercises. If you are looking to build muscle and you are not doing pull ups or chin ups, then you are simply wasting your time.
Before you determine how many exercises per workout, you need to find a perfect bar that can support your body weight. Most gyms usually have pull-up bars. At home, you can find it on top of the door. Once you have found a pull-up bar that works for, it is time to decide how you can effectively use it to build muscle.
When you are doing pull ups, your hands should face away from you. This move will work your biceps and back. In case you are working out at a bar with your hands facing you, it is known as chin ups. This move challenges your biceps as well as building back strength. Once you know the difference between pull ups and chin ups, it is time to get started.
- The first thing you should do is to grab with your hands outside your shoulder length. For pull ups, make sure your hands are facing away from you. Once your body is hanging downwards, pull yourself upwards until your chin is higher than the bar. Pause for a while, then lower yourself to the starting position. As you go up, make sure the focus is on your biceps and back, and don’t swing your body. For your pull up challenge, you should always choose a higher number than you can work towards.
- For beginners, you can choose to do ten pull ups. Start by doing one round of pull up, then rest for 30 seconds. Remember, you should go all the way up and not halfway. That is, your chin should be over the bar.
- Once you can comfortably do one pull up, you should then do two pull ups and rest for another 30 seconds.
- You should continue to increase the number of pull ups you do until you reach number ten. In case you want to build muscles faster, you can do three sets of 10.
Some days you may find that you lack the motivation to exercise. Fitness experts recommend that you make your workouts fun, so that you can be motivated to exercise every day. There is no need of joining a yoga class if you don’t enjoy it. Remember, the best workouts are the one which is committed to doing and you enjoy. Rather than working out alone, you may choose to do it with a family member or a close friend. While starting your workouts, it is important you start small and gradually increase the intensity. This is especially true if you are new to workouts or have spent long periods without exercising. To avoid the risk of injuries, you can start with 10-minute workouts and gradually increase it to 30 minutes, when you build endurance.
Hector is the founder of NightmareWorkout, where he and his associates blog with so many years of professional experience in the fitness world. He’s glad to share all his knowledge to help you if you just don't know what to do and when or where to start your road to fitness to being physically healthy. He'll even do some research to your questions if required. Problems – Solved!