The prevalence of lifestyles diseases is at an all-time high and there are concerns that this is now becoming an epidemic. The high prevalence of problems caused by poor nutrition including heart disease and stroke, obesity, tooth decay, type2 diabetes, and high blood pressure among others is a big cause of concern in every food and health forum.
As a household owner, you need the right information in order to start eating healthy. Whether you regularly cook in your house or not, there are some foods that you should always have in your fridge or pantry. These foods are famed for keeping the doctor away. Modern society is already plagued by other problems and the last thing you want is to add poor health to the list of issues you have to deal with.
With this in mind, take a look at these readily available foods which can revolutionize your health life:
- Natural peanut butter – This is a very healthy food renowned for its high nutritional content. From fiber, vitamin E, and iron among other nutrients, that simple spread will help you keep heart disease and other diseases at bay.
- Avocado – While the mention of fats brings negative thoughts for anyone looking to eat healthy, avocado will in fact help you with mono-unsaturated fats which are very healthy. These fats reduce the risk of diabetes and blood pressure and lowers DLD cholesterol.
- Yoghurt – This is not only delicious but will also help maintain healthy bacteria at a healthy level. It is packed with calcium, potassium and vitamins among other nutrients. However, make sure you avoid products laced with excess sugar as this negates all the health benefits.
- Wild Salmon – Fish offers optimal nutrition and with salmon, you don’t have to worry about the high levels of mercury that have lately been found in other fish species. You will get a good serving of omega-3’s and with wild salmon, there is no risk of antibiotics common in farm-raised salmon.
- Almonds – These nuts contain a lot of nutrients including riboflavin, magnesium, fiber, iron, calcium and vitamin E. They also contain monounsaturated fat, which lowers cholesterol levels.
- Oatmeal –This is a wonder food and it contains soluble fiber. This binds to bile, which limits the absorption of fat and cholesterol.
- Leafy greens – Your mum told you to eat your veggies but most likely you didn’t like the taste. Well, your doctor will still tell you to eat leafy greens such as broccoli, spinach, cabbage and kale. They contain iron, vitamin K and many other nutrients which are important for your health.
- Apples – It might be cliché but the phrase ‘An apple a day keeps the doctor away’ still remains true. Apples are packed with fiber to help keep heart disease at bay. They contain mineral boron, which is good for bones.
- Orange juice – This contains Vitamin C and potassium and will also increase your HDL levels.
- Red beans – These are low-fat sources of protein, dietary fiber, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium antioxidants, copper and thiamin.
Other foods worth mention include chia seeds, green tea, egg whites, black beans, blueberries, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, hot peppers and pomegranate. Food and health matters to you and the benefits will improve the quality of your life.